In July 2017 Low Ham Church was vested with the Churches Conservation Trust (CCT). Since then the CCT have carried out much needed restoration work on the church and will soon be completed.
In addition to this work The Church in the Field Charitable Association* financed the refurbishment of the clock and the addition of a self winding mechanism.
The church continues to be consecrated. When the current repairs have been completed services will be held again and the church will be open to the general public.
Click below to read about the scaffold tour
Low Ham is a hamlet within the parish of High Ham near Langport in Somerset. Its present church, known locally as the Church in the Field, is a Grade 1 listed building and was a private chapel belonging to the Lords of the Manor since 1624. In 1921 it was given to the Church of England.
The present day church dates almost entirely from the early 17th century but it is thought that two churches had previously occupied the site. Adrian Schael, Rector of High Ham from 1570 to 1599, clearly gives the impression of previous churches in his writings. There are also references to a previous church having stood here in 1316. During the recent restoration by the CCT a wall ‘of high quality’ was found buried near the East wall. Whether it’s the remains of a previous church or other building is unknown at the moment. Further investigation has to be made.
It is believed that an earlier church may well have been built by Serlo de Burci, one of the Knights who assisted in the invasion by William the Conqueror. He received the Manor of Low Ham amongst others as his reward and his name figures in several charters of William the First and William the Second. The Burci family can be found in Low Ham until 1363 when the manor passed to the Berkeley family. In the 16th century the Manor House was still called Burci’s Court.